A father’s love – true love – is protective, complete, wholesome, inviting and warm… restoration of all hurt, all discomfort, all doubt can be found in the true love of a father. Our heavenly father’s love is just that – vast, unending, inexhaustible – infinite.
You – You, can be both His beautiful, magnificent, wonderful masterpiece and also an enormous fixer-upper and work in progress at the same time – you are worth more than silver and more precious than gold to Him… even worth more than His beloved son’s own life…
Discovering a relationship with God, no matter what has happened in your life… is still happening in your life… and what may continue to happen – God sees you and loves you through it all. He is the God who sees. “El Roi” – Hebrew for “The God of Omnipotence and Omnipresence” – Expressed in Genesis 16:13 as He is revealed to Hagar, a runaway slave in a desperate situation of doubt and despair, feeling as if her whole world was a lie or if all she had known was authentic.
So, she called the name of the Lord who spoke to her, “You are a God of seeing,” for she said, “Truly here I have seen him who looks after me.” – Genesis 16:13
The adversary keeps planting thoughts, doubts in your head: Who you are…
- Who could love you – who would love you? A liar when convenient, unsuccessful at any relationship, at work or at home, coming from a complicated past, one where pure emotion and sin ruled over your life… You cheated in your last relationship, on your last exam; you lied to your best friend because you just couldn’t deal with their drama today, you called into work because you stayed out too late – No one can – No one will trust you. #liar-liar
- Constantly in doubt of your beauty, your worth – envious of honest success – a single teenage parent, struggling… working two part-time jobs – striving to provide, living from paycheck to paycheck, depending on friends and others to help you raise your child – not what you imagined… All while your other friends have finished college and have good jobs and great relationships at home and at work or so it would appear via social media and gatherings. I am drowning in debt, I am a failure, used and useless, and there is no end in sight, if only… #alone
- Shame and guilt are covering you, permeating you, eating you up from the inside out. The burden of humiliation and remorse are unbearable at times, you’ve considered a dark path forward, all in the name of gratification, fulfilling a desire in the moment, being rebellious to what you know as right. #nowayout
Let’s agree that Satan wants to darken our image of God and diminish His character within us – telling us that we will always be destined to our sinful, regretful and condemned self… and to forget the truths that:
- God is ever-present – unescapable. #always
- God sees through you – pervading. #adored
- God loves you always – boundless. #forever
We cannot escape God’s pursuit. In Psalms139 we see that not only does He know and understand what is in our heart and our soul, what we desire, what we think of… that He will be in our presence no matter what. As we sleep, as we wake, as we do our day-to-day things… from the highest mountain top to the deepest parts of the sea – God is there.
Across all of time and all of space God knows who you are, and what your thoughts are – Yet in the tremendous love He has for you, His incalculable grace and mercy extends to you. God condemned His own son to die, so you will not have to. So, the demand for premium for your life of sin was paid. Our fathers love is so vast and His mercy so boundless that it not only paid your debt but the debt of all of the people of the world sin is forgiven, completely forgiven – in His grace and mercy – immeasurable love.
O Lord, you have searched me and known me!
You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
you discern my thoughts from afar.
You search out my path and my lying down
and are acquainted with all my ways.
Even before a word is on my tongue,
behold, O Lord, you know it altogether.
You hem me in, behind and before,
and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
it is high; I cannot attain it.
Where shall I go from your Spirit?
Or where shall I flee from your presence?
If I ascend to heaven, you are there!
If I make my bed in Hell, you are there!
If I take the wings of the morning
and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
even there your hand shall lead me,
and your right hand shall hold me.
If I say, “Surely the darkness shall cover me,
and the light about me be night,”
even the darkness is not dark to you;
the night is bright as the day,
for darkness is as light with you.
For you formed my inward parts;
you knitted me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.[a]
Wonderful are your works;
my soul knows it very well.
My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written, every one of them,
the days that were formed for me,
when as yet there was none of them.
How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!
If I would count them, they are more than the sand.
I awake, and I am still with you. – Psalm 139
I am worthy, I am pure, I am successful, I am not alone, I am loved. How we long for reinforcement on all of these terms. Everyone wants to know that they are worth investment of time and of relationship. Everyone wants to know that they are pure at heart – intending good and not evil. We all desire success, wanting kudos for a job “Well Done”. We also want to know that we are not alone in these pursuits, called “life” …
Last but not least, all people are starving for, they crave, they hunger for love. We want to be loved and accepted for who we are… No matter where we have been, what we have done, how we look, whether we are rich or poor, slave or free, we want love, acceptance and assurance.
Love, true love – Holds no condemnation for the actions of others, only the choice to forgive and move forward in a gracious, loving relationship.
All the people came to him, and he sat down and began to teach them. The experts in the law and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught committing adultery. They made her stand in front of them and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of adultery. In the law Moses commanded us to stone to death such women. What then do you say?” Jesus bent down and wrote on the ground with his finger. When they persisted in asking him, he stood up straight and replied, “Whoever among you is guiltless may be the first to throw a stone at her.” Then he bent over again and wrote on the ground. Now when they heard this, they began to drift away one at a time, starting with the older ones, until Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him. Jesus stood up straight and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Did no one condemn you?” She replied, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, “I do not condemn you either. Go, and from now on do not sin anymore.” – John 8:1-11
Remember that a father’s love – true love – is protective, complete, wholesome, inviting and warm… restoration of all hurt, all discomfort, all doubt can be found in the true love of a father. Yes, you, can be both His beautiful, magnificent, wonderful masterpiece and also an enormous fixer-upper and work in progress at the same time – you are worth more than silver and more precious than gold to Him… even worth more than His beloved son’s own life…
Just as this woman who had been condemned by society, facing a death penalty in this world, with absolutely no way out – all around her already had the instruments of her death at hand, awaiting a command… The grace and mercy of true love, unconditional love gives restoration, honor and “life” to all who face it – look up my child into the Father’s eyes and gain acceptance of who you really are… Go and live a life of freedom and be a testimony to love – the unfathomable love of Jesus Christ!
With an open heart, in an attitude of adoration, let us pray:
“You know me… You knit me… You see me – seeing into my being – yet you desire to be with me, for me to be with you – thank you for your persistent, all-consuming love.
Father, I love that you love me, so very much, that relentlessly pursued me, you never took your watchful eyes off of me, that you delivered me from so many hurtful and harmful situations… in the times you could not keep me from harm, because of my stubbornness your heart broke, but you never stopped loving me.
Forgive me for those times, keep your eyes upon me now, restore me, renew me – love me more deeply forever more, as I too seek your face, pursuing you as you did me. Let us together revel in the restored bountiful joy that is your presence. Grant me peace and strength as my days continue, until I come home to see you face to face.” – Amen.
As you meditate and focus on “the one who sees you” this week, consider “looking” to Him appreciating the way He never stopped looking for you, waiting on you to reach out to Him…
- As He relentlessly pursued you – write down, not to glorify your past, but to memorialize an altar to God’s pursuit of you – what did God deliver you from?
- Have you continued to struggle with thoughts of doubt and uncertainty, that God really couldn’t have delivered me from “_________ and ________” that God is not enough? God is all, He is more than enough.
- Have you turned back to your past life?
- Know God is faithful and will set you back on “straight street, giving you power to overcome” … He is unescapable.
- God can use you and your situation for good – “Think about how your testimony can help others who were in a similar place, or faced the same struggles?”